Monday, August 24, 2015

The Flickering Torch Mystery

In June, I started rereading The Hardy Boys. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, I read these books over and over. After thirty years, I felt a bit nostalgic for them and started buying them from Kobo and Amazon. I was surprised that some stories weren't what I had remembered. A number of the stories were revised and modernized in the late fifties and throughout the sixties. Others were totally rewritten, retaining only the title but with a new story. The Flickering Torch Mystery was one such book. The British Armada edition (above) that I had, for some reason, was the original story, although I bought it around 1979. When I bought the book from Kobo (below) I got the rewritten one, which wasn't all that good. I managed to find a copy of the Armada edition and read it as soon as I finished the rewritten version. Now, I am not being a Hardy Boys purist. A few days later, I read both versions of While the Clock Ticked and preferred the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment